The rows of faces in the photograph on our home page are new recruits who have answered Lord Kitchener’s call and volunteered to join the army. These local men would go on to form C Company of the 6th Battalion of the KSLI, the Shrewsbury “Pals”.
During the first few weeks of the war, men across Shropshire enthusiastically signed up, by the 5th of September it was reported that 2,000 had already enlisted. Many thought they would be home by Christmas, but it would be 1915 before these men would see active service on the Western Front. They would go on to fight at Ypres and on the Somme.